**Recipe here originally: **
I made this the other night and it was so good! I love the flavor of golden beets and carrots together – they’re both earthy and sweet and pair well with spicy curry powder. You can use regular red beets too! Or, really any combination of root veggie or tuber would work here. Try it with:
* Sweet potato
You can use any combination that you like. You need about 2 pounds of root veggies, so mix and match depending on what ya have!
If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can leave the soup chunky too.
I used a spicy Malaysian-style curry spice blend but you can use your favorite curry powder instead. Madras would be good since it’s hotter, but if you’re averse to heat a mild curry powder would be tasty too!
If you want some protein, add a can of chickpeas or some cubed tofu to the soup! You can also skip the coconut milk if you want to reduce the calories/fat a bit. The curry powder I used was REALLY spicy so I definitely needed it to calm down the heat, haha
* 1 tablespoon neutral oil
* 6-inch piece of lemongrass, tough outer layers removed, and stalk lightly smashed with the back of your knife
* 1 pound golden beets, peeled and diced
* 1 pound carrots, peeled and diced
* 2 tablespoons curry powder
* 5 cups water or vegetable stock
* 15-ounce can coconut milk or cashew cream or omit
* Salt and pepper to taste
## For serving :
* Cooked white rice or toasted naan
* Fresh cilantro
* Lime wedges
## Cook the vegetables:
* Heat a little oil in a large pot and add the lemongrass. Let it sizzle for about 1 minute until fragrant. Add the carrots and golden beets. Cook the vegetables in the oil for 2–3 minutes before turning and cooking 2–3 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper.
## Bloom the curry powder:
* Add the curry powder to the pot and cook, stirring to coat the vegetables with the powder, until fragrant, about 1 minute.
## Simmer the soup:
* Pour in the water or stock and bring to a boil. Simmer for 30–40 minutes until the carrots and beets are fork-tender. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Remove the lemongrass and discard.
## Blend the soup:
* Add the coconut milk and blend the soup with an immersion blender until smooth and creamy. Taste and season once more.
## To serve:
* Ladle the soup into bowls. Serve with cooked white rice or toasted naan. Garnish with fresh cilantro and lime wedges, if you like. Enjoy!